I’ve been continuing to think about some things from church this week.
Death (Luke 22:14-20)
- The last supper: bread and wine.
- The bread. Jesus’ body. Broken. Crushing wheat is part of the break-making process. Leaven changes crushed wheat into bread.
- The wine. Jesus’ blood. Poured out. Crushing grapes is part of the wine-making process. Fermenting changes crushed grapes into wine.
- The passover system of 2 goats. One sacrificed. One a scapegoat, carrying sins far away. The broken body of a sacrificed animal. The broken body of God in flesh.
- Jesus said, “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35)
- Life is in the blood (Leviticus 17:11)
- Jesus’ offering cleansed our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God. (Hebrews 9:14)
Death and life. Bread and wine.
Question: Are you cleansed from acts that lead to death? Are you serving the living God?